Published September 10, 2014
By Tavia Holloway, YNPN Atlanta Member
YNPN Atlanta hosted its first “Coffee with an Expert” series on August 15, 2014, and I was one of five fortunate people to be chosen to attend. “Coffee with an Expert” gives YNPN members the rare opportunity to engage with community leaders in a small group setting. The always-amazing and ever-energetic Ann Cramer graciously gave of her time and discussed how passion, professional expertise, personal preferences, pride, and fit are critical in understanding yourself and knowing where you work best. Here are some of my take-aways from what she shared that day:
- Passion – Doing your job isn’t enough. It’s important to actually care about what you do.
- Professional expertise
- What skills and expertise do you bring?
- What skills do you want to grow?
- How and where will you grow those skills?
- What is your growth plan?
- Personal preferences – Personal preferences matter, so don’t overlook them.
- Pride – It’s one thing to have passion for an organization, but you should also be proud of what you do because you sell the brand and wear the brand every day.
- Fit – If the culture isn’t right or you don’t fit, it won’t work for you.
The opportunity to participate in “Coffee with an Expert” is one of the many benefits you receive as a member of YNPN Atlanta. For more information on other benefits and how to join, go here. YNPN Atlanta’s next event is the NextGen Breakfast on October 23rd at the Commerce Club. The breakfast is like “Coffee with an Expert”, but on a larger scale. It includes a seated breakfast and keynote address. This year’s address will be given by Lisa Borders of The Coca-Cola Company. The best part of the breakfast is you get to choose your own table – hosted by a member of the nonprofit community - ou can even choose to sit with Ann Cramer! While you don’t have to be a member to attend, members do get early access to choose their table and purchase a ticket. Hope to see you there!